Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Math and I-pads!

What a fantastic couple of weeks we have had in Pre-K!   This week, our curriculum is focusing on the letters:  Tt, Gg, Ee and Rr.   We have added new QR codes to our bucket that include songs that review these letters.  We also added the Five Little Pumpkins poem and the Life Cycle of the Pumpkin. The QR codes give the children instant and safe access to online material.   When making our QR codes, we use Safeshare.TV.   This site gives me a link to a safe site for children to view the videos. 

The children have also been exploring our sensory area.  Our sensory bins are full of corn, leaves and tiny, plastic pumpkins.   We love to dig for our treasures!  Our rice bin is full of tiny, plastic spiders and skeletons!   Our sand table still contains foam letters and seashells.   The children cannot get enough of the soft, white sand from the Gulf of Mexico.    (I can't either!) 

This week the children became very familiar with one of my favorite apps Doodle Buddy.   This app is free and can be used in so many different ways.    This week we used it to practice writing letters and counting.   The children had such a fun time choosing colors and items to count.  

This is my 6th year of teaching and everyday I get more and more excited about the opportunity to be 1:1 I-pad in our classroom.   This is the first time in my teaching career where I have seen 100% of my students be actively engaged in lessons on a consistent basis.   This is how we must teach the next generation.  

The video below is of the children writing numbers using the app Doodle Buddy.   Can you see and hear the excitement?    
The pictures are of the students using Doodle Buddy to count objects (one to one correspondence).  What I also love about the I-pad is that the students can take a screen shot of their work and save it to their camera roll.  We have instant assessment!!    ENJOY!






2 comments:

  1. Very very very very cool!! Thanks Mrs. Weathers for asking for those ipads for your classroom. Just proves it never hurts to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! They are all doing so well! I could nowhere near write as well as these kids when I was 4. Keep up the great work, Mrs. Weathers and team!

    ReplyDelete