Thursday, January 9, 2014

We can bring the snow indoors!

Snowmen fall from heaven... unassembled.
-Anonymous

 School is back in session!   This week has been one of the coldest that Alabama has seen in quite some time!   Brrrrr!   All of the students were hoping for a good snowfall, but it did not happen for us in Alabama.   So, to cheer them up, I decided to spend the week bringing the snow indoors!   I adore Raymond Briggs' book, "The Snowman".    This book does not have any words, so the children were able to use their imaginations and create their own personal snowman story.     See the pictures below and see the fun way we incorporated our Ipads in our literacy lessons this week! 
 
The Snowman is one of my favorite books!
We looked at the pictures and created our own story.  This is great for oral language!


Abbie is placing the hat on the snowman. 

We had a fun sensory experience with shaving cream and glue. We have so much fun in Pre-K!

Katelyn spreads out the "snow".  Who says we can't build a snowman in Alabama?

Next, each child took turns recording their snowman story.   I only have one MAC book in my classroom, so this took a little time.  I like to use Audioboo.  It will allow up to a 3 minute recording.
While each child took their turn recording on Audioboo, we went ahead with our lesson.  This semester we will be using ABCMouse.com.    Each child has an app on their Ipad that will link them to the site.  As a teacher, I am able to go into each student account and assign lessons for each child.   In the picture above, I am teaching them how to access their own personal learning space.   Almost all of my students caught on right away, and went to work.   I love that this program allows me to differentiate learning at the click of a button.  Afterwards, I am able to look in my account and see how they did on each assignment.  


Kerrigan is working hard on her math assignment. 

So, while my students worked independently on their I-pads, I took each child one by one and let them record their snowman story online.   With the click of a button, it created a qr code.  


The QR code will link to audioboo.com and you can listen to each child tell their own story about their snowman.                           How cool is that?



Last but not least, I wanted to add a picture of the snowmen that we created for our tree that is outside of our door.  

What a great week in Pre-K!




2 comments: